The buildings along the Ratcha Damnoen Avenue are parts of Bangkok's architectural landscape and history. These blocks were built along with the construction of Ratcha Damnoen Avenue by order of King Rama V. Leading from the Dusit Royal Palace to the Grand Palace, the Ratcha Damnoen avenue was laid out in the similar design to Paris' Avenue des Champs-Elysees.
The construction of the Ratcha Damnoen Avenue began in 1899, while that of the buildings along the Ratcha Damnone Klang Avenue [Klang means "middle"] began in 1937. On both sides of the avenue, 40-metre-wide strips of land were expropriated for the construction of these blocks of buildings that were designed by several architects, such as Mom Luang [a royal title] Pum Malakul andKhun [an honorific] Mio Aphaiwongse. In keeping with the King Rama V's concept, the same design concept as that for the Champs-Elysées was adopted.
With a budget of 10 million baht, 15 buildings were erected on Ratcha Damnoen Klang Avenues from 1937 to 1948 by several contractors, such as Sa-nga Wannadit Co., Ltd. and Christiani and Nielsen Co., Ltd [at the time, now a public company]. The Democracy Monument was also constructed on the avenue in 1939.